Thursday, October 17, 2013

General Conference

I love General Conference.  Twice a year we have the privilege of hearing from the Lord's Prophet and Apostles.  This last general conference weekend, was the first rainy, cold, weekend of the season.  It was a perfect time to snuggle up with our new puppies (did I mention we had puppies?  Another post to come), drink hot chocolate, play with friends, and listen to inspired messages from the Lord's Servants.

My favorite talk was Elder Holland's talk on mental heallth and depression.  Depression is something I have struggled with on and off throughout the years, and something I have especially struggled with lately, as we have learned of Beckett's misdiagnosis (another post to come on that).  I have felt alone.  I have felt afraid, and I have felt very, very, very low.  It was so comforting to hear Elder Holland's voice that I am not alone, and that I am loved, and that Heavenly Father is completely aware of me, and what I am going through.  My favorite quotes were:

"In striving for some peace and understanding in these difficult matters, it is crucial to remember that we are living- and chose to live- in a fallen world where divine purposes our pursuit of Godliness would be tested and tried again and again."

"We are infinitely more than our limitations and our afflictions."

What peace and comfort the Gospel brings.  I wish all my friends and family who also struggle with mental health issues, would have the same comfort and peace that I have from the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  I am unable to post a link to this talk, as I am typing this from Beckett's therapy, and they won't give me the wifi password, but please, if you are having a hard time, google "Elder Holland Like a Broken Vessel".  You won't be sorry.  

I can't wait for the next 6 months when we are able to be lifted up, inspired, and directed again!

No comments: