Thursday, January 24, 2008

Patience

Patience is never something that I have been good at. It is definitely not inherent in my family. I have been thinking a lot about my desire to be more patient with my husband and my son lately, and it is still so hard to do.

I think back to a couple of years ago, when Nick and I were first married, I prayed for patience. Boy, was I EVER given opportunities to learn patience. Nick and I joked about how you should NEVER pray for patience, because you will definitely be tested to the limit. I got through it somehow though.

These are the ways that I am trying to improve my patience:

1.) Rather than yell at Nick for leaving dishes in the sink, I can politely say "Babe, dishwasher's dirty."
2.) Hug Brody when he is mad and hitting, instead of getting angry and frustrated.
3.) When Brody asks to watch Cars for the 4th time in a day, I can say "I know you would love to watch Cars, but we are going to read a book, or watch something else instead today. Maybe tomorrow we can watch Cars again."
4.) I am going to sing to my babies when I put them down at night. Bedtime has always been a struggle in our house, but over the past week, Nick and I have been singing Brody 3 songs before bed and we walk around the room with him. I have noticed a dramatic change in his ability to fall asleep easily and sleep longer in the morning.
5.) Finally, I am going to take more "me" time. By doing so, I am more relaxed and have the ability to be more patient with my loved ones.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

These are great ideas!! Thanks for sharing them. I, too, am working on this extra hard this week! Its so nice to realize that we are all struggling with the same things. Sometimes patience seems like such a simple thing! Yet it is super hard at Times. good luck!

Valerie Chandler said...

Sweet reflections and a good reminder for me,too. Thanks.