Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Senseless tragedy

After hearing word yesterday of the Bishop in California who had been shot during church, I have struggled to get a grasp on my feelings related to this tragedy. I feel sad, I feel sick (physically nauseous), and I feel so confused.

Where can we be safe, if not in our own places of worship? Do we not have the right to worship freely, where and when we choose without fear of something like this happening? Our schools have been invaded by these sick people out to hurt others, as have our places of employment, and now our churches.

My heart aches for the family of this Righteous servant, who was murdered while fulfilling his calling from the Lord. He was not paid to do what he did, in fact, he worked full time outside of his full time church responsibilities. He also had a family to raise. 6 children to be exact...the youngest only a few months old.

I am grateful however, for the knowledge that I have. I know that Heavenly Father has made a way for our families to be together forever. I know that man will be reunited with his wife and children again someday. I know that we all are children of a Heavenly Father who loves us. I know that the Holy Ghost will act as a comforter for his wife, as she struggles to learn to live this life without her eternal companion.

The song that has been going through my head all day goes like this:

"Families can be together forever,
Through Heavenly Father's plan.
I always want to be with my own family,
and the Lord has shown me how I can."

I pray those words will bring comfort to the family and friends of this slain Bishop. May he rest in peace.

1 comment:

Rose said...

Now that I've got a tissue. Thank you for those wonderfully comforting words Nikki.