Wednesday, January 7, 2009

My Job

I realize that the majority of my posts lately do not include pictures, and I am sorry for that. I have found that uploading cute pictures of my kids and writing about them was a MUCH easier task when there was just one child. One child who was completely independent. Peyton, bless her little heart, is the biggest mamma's girl I've ever met. If I put her down, or leave the room, you would have thought I had called her a mean name and hurt her feelings. The lip goes out, and starts to quiver, and the crocodile tears start pouring. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not complaining...at ALL...I love my little girl, and cherish the fact that she wants to be with me all the time. I probably even give in a little too much. Anyway, that has nothing to do with the title of my blog, but I just wanted to explain myself first. Someday, I will come back to the blogging world with full force and the cute little pictures of my cute little kids will return.

Today, however, I would like to reflect on my job. I don't talk about work much on here. There is probably a reason for that, but the therapist in my just hasn't found that reason yet.

I work with children ranging in age from 5 to 11. I work with their parents as well. These children have a variety of problems...from ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder), to Autism, to Oppositional Defiant Disorder, or to my favorite (NO sarcasm there, I truly love working with children with this disorder) RAD or Reactive Attachment Disorder. I have been doing this (including my internship) for 3 1/2 years now. I've seen it all. I've had children who had been abused, neglected, and hurt in the worst kind of way imagineable.

The things that I see and the things that I hear are heartbreaking. So, I won't share them. I just wanted to share that I love my job. I LOVE the children that I work with. They make me reflect on my own children and ask myself "Am I doing enough?" "Do I hug them enough?" "Do I kiss them enough?" "Do they know how much I love them?" The children that I work with make me come home every Wednesday and Thursday and SHOW my children how much I love them. They make me motivated to give my children the best life possible. To teach my children morals, and values, and how to be a good friend to everybody. I never want them to be the cause of someone else's pain and suffering.

I am thankful for the field of Social Work. I am thankful that I took a job as a workstudy when I was 18 years old at the School of Social Work at the U of Arkansas, and switched my major promptly from journalism to S.W. I am thankful to my mentors and my colleagues for teaching and guiding me.

After I had Brody, when I went back to work, I asked the girl who I was replacing how she did it. How could she go home to her daughter every night after hearing some of the most awful things that had happened to some of her clients and be okay...and not break down. Her response will always stick with me: "Because, it makes me a better mother." I believe that to be true, and know that whenever I come home stressed, or depressed, or wanting to punch some dead beat, I look at my children and it all goes away.

I don't know if I really am making a difference in these kid's lives or not, but I kind of live by this saying:

"A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was,the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child...."

5 comments:

Rose said...

Nikki, thank you for your post. It takes a special kind of person to be able to work in your field. I admire those that try to make a difference in a child's life. Especially a child that has a hard life. I know that I wouldn't be able to do it. I would probably be arrested my first week of work.

The Krile Daily News said...

You are one great social worker...you probably should mention that you would not be this great without the help of your social work school buddies!. Just kidding, but seriously, this made me think how lucky I am and Adleigh. Miss you.

Courtney said...

I'm so happy that you love your job!!! I'm sure all the people that you work with love you too.
I just started working this week...full time! It's so sad being away from Noah. Tonight he was only awake for about 5 minutes after I picked him up and I think he's down for the night. I cried because I didn't get to see my baby hardly at all today. It's really hard. But we need the money for now. Anyways, back to the point of my comment: I'm happy that you are happy!

Deffia said...

Nikki, you know how to write a story and make it so interesting. You are such a wonderful young lady and I know that you make such a difference int the lives of the children that you work with. They are so lucky to have you. When you first decided to change your major I wasn't sure how you were going to do with such a stressful line of work but you have made me so proud. On top of everything else you do you are a wonderful mother. I am so proud of you and so happy that your are my daughter..I love you, Mom

Jodie said...

Amen sister! It is a hard job that you have. As a teacher you see some of it, but not to the extent that you do. Keep up the good work!