Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Ben & Jerry's and Coke

Tonight was a Ben & Jerry's and Coke night for Nick and I. I was put on official maternity leave yesterday, and today was my first day home with Brody. As much as I was looking forward to it, it turned out to be one of those days that I wish I was working. He hasn't been feeling well, so I understand his grumpiness...but the tantrums? Holy cow! I took him to Taco bell to get a cheese roll up and I could get a burrito. Well, every time I tried to take a bite of my food, he would scream "NOOOOO!!!" at the top of his lungs. He wound up throwing an all-out-screaming-bloody-murder-tantrum in the middle of Taco Bell. I was so embarrassed, that we wound up leaving our food and running out of the restraunt.

Then, when we got home, the tantrums continued. I would not allow him to have a popsicle, and when he asked for a treat, I offered grapes. Big mistake! Nick and I are really trying to limit his sugar right now, and I think he is going through withdrawals. For the next 4 1/2 hours straight, he threw tantrums. Nick and I finally put him to bed at 6:45 (which of course caused another fit). As soon as we were done with prayers and story time, I left Nick to tend to him, and I went to the store and bought some Phish Food, Half Baked, and a 2 liter of caffeine free Coke (and NOT the diet stuff!!!)

The day has ended well though. I just went to check on Brody and he looks like the angel that he is. We all have our days!

My Angel Before Church on Mother's Day

4 comments:

Jodie said...

Oh my goodness! I can totally relate with the tantrum thing! Keeley gets into a funk occasionally & it is bad. I am hoping that it won't be like this forever. Praying that it isn't foreshadowing of the teenage years!
By the way, he looked very handsome for Mother's Day!

Cheramie said...

you deserve the ice cream and coke!

Valerie Chandler said...

It's not easy to be on the front line, Nikki, but you're gonna love it! :)

And yes, you deserved the treat!

~ Roxanne said...

The sugar thing is an on going battle. My heart goes out to you with the tantrums!

The tantrums do go away for the to rebel in other ways.

Mother's should definitely get 'a go straight to the Celestrial Kingdom pass.'