Sunday, August 14, 2011

Thoughts about kindergarten...

Brody starts Kindergarten tomorrow and my emotions are running high. First, I can't believe I have a kindergartener. It doesn't seem possible. When they tell you to cherish the time with your babies because it goes by too fast...they weren't kidding. Second, it's hard for me to believe that he is about to start a whole new realm of independence. Although, I am VERY excited about this part of his life. One of my main goals as a mother is to teach my children that they can depend on me for whatever they need...but the importance of self sufficiency, and independence, in order for them to grow into strong, successful adults.

I told Brody tonight at 7:10 that he had 15 more minutes until he needed to go brush his teeth and go to sleep because he has to get up at 6:30 in the morning for school (that's right folks...Arkansas is backwards and elementary school starts at 7:30 and high school starts at 9:00!) He complained a little bit and fussed a little bit but agreed to do as I asked. About 5 minutes later, I looked over at him, and the little nugget was sound asleep on the couch. We are skipping teeth tonight, and I just carried him to his bed to lay him down. So excited that he is going to get such a long night's sleep before his first day tomorrow.

His teacher's name is Mrs. Myers. I had never met her before until the kindergarten orientation night, but she seems to be an excellent teacher. I have heard nothing but wonderful reviews from other moms whose children have had her. She even sent Brody a postcard in the mail, which made his day. Brody's favorite thing in the world is getting mail!

So, tomorrow, Brody and I both start a new routine of getting up EARLY (not excited about this part), and getting ready for school. Our lives will never be the same again! It just dawned on me that I will have kids in school for the next 24 years. Oh boy!!

Pictures to come tomorrow!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Good luck to Brody and you!!! We will be going through this next year with Hayden. It seems surreal to even think about!

Jen said...

I was thinking about you wondering how you'd done with the first day! You had it rough, not only your first baby off to school but also having to go through it with the pregnancy hormones???? Go Nikki!! :)