Sunday, September 28, 2008

Do you remember the 90's?

Nick and I got into the car today, and I looked in the console for a church CD. Instead, the first thing that caught my eye was a Boyz II Men CD. I couldn't resist and stuck it in and started jamming out to Mo Town Philly. This was the conversation from there on out:

Nick: I never liked Boyz II Men.
Me: I LOVED Boyz II Men.
Nick: I bet you loved New Kids on the Block too.
Me: Nope, I was in like 1st grade when they were big. Besides, I liked to listen to what my brother's listened to.
Nick: And they didn't listen to NKOTB?
Me: No! They were a boy band!
Nick: And what would you call Boyz II Men?
Me: Gangsta Rap!
Nick: WHAT?
Me: They were thug life before thug life is what it is today.
Nick: No way. If they were rap then I would have listened to them.
Me: Okay, maybe they were R&B.

LONG PAUSE

Me: Do you remember gangs?
Nick: Like a band?
Me: No, like gangs. Bloods and Crypts. You don't really hear about them anymore.
Nick: Yeah, we mostly had a bunch of wannabes.
Me: I think we had some real ones at our school. I always wondered though, "If you are in a gang, then why are you still going to school?" I remember when they told us in the 4th grade that we could no longer wear read or blue, or hats, because they were all gang affiliated.
Nick: *Laughs*
Me: There was this one guy though...he wore a blue bandana, a navy shirt and droopy drawers...I bet he had a gun in them!
Nick: Did you just say "Droopy drawers?"
US: Cracking up laughing

I loved the 90's. I wish they would come back.

4 comments:

Bryson and Alyssa said...

Bryson and I got a big kick out of this conversation. Sounds like many we've had about growing up.

Steve said...

I seriously cracked up laughing out loud when I got to "droopy drawers." Oh, and I have two Boyz II Men cds sitting somewhere under my bed right at this minute. I was a fan (and I was not a NKOTB fan). : )

Jodie said...

Oh come on...NKOTB...saw them in concert. Sometimes I'm embarrassed to admit that. Of course, I am a little older....
Also a Boyz II Men fan.
Good stuff in the 90s! Let's bring it all back!

michelle manning said...

I'm going to out myself here and say that I LOVED New Kids on the Block. In the 6th grade my friend Nikole and I would watch the cartoon and kiss the TV screen when our fav New Kid came on!