Tuesday, August 12, 2008

This one's for you, Valerie!

I have been at a loss for what to do for Family Home Evening with Brody. I always feel like it needs to be this big, well thought out, event. I realized, last night, after studying the Ensign, that it can be simple. So simple it was. I went online, found a picture of our Prophet, President Thomas S. Monson, and printed it out. We ate chocolate brownie, fat free, frozen yogurt (Nick and I are doing weight watchers), and had an opening song...The Wise Man and the Foolish Man. While we sang the song and did the hand gestures, Brody looked at us and thought we were the craziest people ever. He was giggling so hard!

Next, we showed him the picture of President Monson, and explained to him who he was, and what he does for our church. Then, Nick asked Brody "What church do you go to, Brody?" Brody sat there for a minute...thought real hard...and blurted out "BUBBLES!" We said, "Yes, you do bubbles in nursery, but the name of our church is The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints." To which Brody responds "CHURCH OF BUBBLES! HAHAHAHAHA!" He couldn't contain himself. The next 5-10 minutes were spent with all of us cracking up while he sat on his rocking horse exclaiming that he belonged to the "Church of Bubbles!"

I am so thankful for nursery. Brody has seemed to come out of his shell through nursery, and he comes home telling me things that I never knew that he knew about. He points out snowmen (Sister Chandler makes snowmen out of play doh with the kids), and talks about the other kids in his class. Last night, before bed, we asked him about his friends, and he said "Tucker, Holden."
I am also thankful for Valerie Chandler and Jennifer Williams and the love that they show my little boy every week. These pictures of Brody and his friends in Nursery were taken from Valerie's page.

Brody doing shaving cream paintings

Brody, Autumn and Hyrum learning about wind

Sweet Hyrum

Hence, The Churc of Bubbles

Somethingi s really funny to Autumn

1 comment:

Valerie Chandler said...

Thanks, Nikki! It is such a privilege to be in Nursery. I love it and am so grateful for the calling. The cushiest of the Church. Hoorah!

I love Brody. He has the cutest sense of humor. We went on a walk on Sunday and he was a hoot. Near the end I chased him half the length of the Church, him giggling all the way. When I finally caught him, I carried him back to the group. He kept laughing and laughing, then pointing, saying something about his shoe. Finally I looked back and his little croc was about thirty feet back. It totally cracked him up. I enjoy him so much.

He has the happiest little spirit, which is such a tribute your sweet mothering.

Thanks for sharing him with me.

...and just for the record, I have never told Brody that we belong to The Church of Bubbles! :)